Having it all: Real or Foe?

When we were teenagers we picture are adult lives being so easy flowing. We pictured ourselves having a good job, perfect marriage, big house, and children. Then we all became adult and realize that it’s much easier said then done. Most of us haven’t reached where we want to be at in our lives yet. The picture never contained resume preparation, numerous dates, high interest rates, and $300 a week daycare expense. I remember telling myself when I was a teen that I couldn’t wait to be an adult and hearing my mom say “You betta stay a kid as long as you can”. She was so damn right! I couldn’t wait for my so called “freedom” to enter my life. It came faster than a rocket and I wasn’t even ready for all of my new responsibilities.


I’ve discover that sometime you have to go another route to reach the path you want to take. In my case I became an accountant, not because I love the profession but because I had a son to raises. That picture of me living in New York working for Essence Magazine got push way back. Going from being a straight A student to being someone’s “Baby Momma” wasn’t in my plan, but shit happens. The key is to keep that picture alive in your heart and when the opportunity presences itself go for it. Though I had an instant family I never lost sight of what I want, better yet what I expected of myself.

Nobody could tell me that I wouldn’t be married at the age of 22. I just knew it’d happen! My birthday is next month (I’ll be 27) and it still hasn’t happen. In away I’m glad it didn’t happen when I expect it to. I had a lot more things to learn and I needed to grow into a better woman. You can’t rush growth. It takes going through a lot of bullshit to get a sense of who you really are. Everyday you should learn something different about yourself. You can not predict when you will get married. Some of us never will make it down the aisle, but there is nothing wrong with being hopeful. Stop wondering when it will happen. Just keep living.

Thing don’t happen when we plan for them to happen. That is a fact, but it doesn’t mean that they won’t. It just means that your order got switched around. I believe that we can have it all just not in the order we put it. Time seems to change our outlooks on a lot of the things we want. You may have wanted a child once upon a time, now you rather travel. There isn’t anything wrong with that. I always tell people that you can’t reach your goal without having faith. Without faith, “having it all” will damn near be impossible. Don’t let a U-turn throw you off your path.

Comments

Popular Posts